Hair Mane-tenence 101
Ok, let's talk hair! I get a ton of questions everyday about my hair so I am excited to share this post with you! As you can see, I have a lot of it (100% all mine, no extensions) so I have a lot to say about it! Hopefully, this will answer many of your questions and leave you with some tips and tricks to help you MANEtain your precious locks. Now pour yourself a glass of rosé and get comfy!
Hair Color: Alex at Vanity Salon Houston
12 years ago I met the guy who made all my hair dreams come true! Meet Alex, my hair magician. My job is to grow the hair and he works his magic to bring my color fantasies to real life! When I met him, he was fresh out of the Aveda Institute and our conversation went like this... Me: "Do you see my hair? I have a lot of it. Can you color my hair without making it orange, green, brassy or damaged"? Alex: "Yes Cel, I can". Me: "Ok, I will let you do my hair and if I love it, I will be your lifelong client". Needless to say, I LOVED IT!
Prior to Alex, I had many hair color sessions gone wrong and I made a vow to myself to never go through that stress again! I have had long hair since I was a Little Cel and it's my signature look, I couldn't take any more chances. Don't get me wrong, I love hats but not when I am forced to wear them. I also learned I do not look good with green hair!
Haircut: Brittany at Vanity Salon Houston
When I was younger and wanted my hair to grow longer, I didn't want to cut it because well, I was trying to grow it longer. I was so wrong! After realizing that my hair wasn't getting any longer, I decided to go ahead and give this "trim your hair every 6 weeks" thing a try. I wish I would have taken that advice sooner! My hair has continuously grown ever since I started this regimen. Every 6-8 weeks, I get a hair trim and by trim I mean 1-3 inches. I can kiss those split ends goodbye and still keep the length.
My Hair Care Regimen:
1. I treat my hair like I treat my skin; I drink plenty of water to hydrate, moisturize often and protect it from the sun.
2. I try to cut back on heat styling when I can. I let my hair air dry for about 45 minutes then blow dry it for about 10 minutes especially if I am going to curl it. I always use a heat protectant spray prior to drying my hair. Now if I want an arm workout, I'll blow dry it for 45 minutes!
3. Instead of washing my hair every single day like I use to, I try to wait a day or two in between washes to maintain moisture. Unless I am running, then I have to wash it! I'm also a huge fan of baby powder, yep you heard me right! I use baby powder instead of dry shampoo and I don't think that'll ever change! I have found that most dry shampoos weigh my hair down and make it look worse so I am sticking with my baby powder. I simply shake a bit into my roots then blow dry it with a round brush to set it and make it disappear into my hair. Try it! It's super easy and gives your hair great volume!
4. Condition!!! I have a lot of hair so I use a lot of conditioner. I use a daily conditioner (linked below) every time I wash and a conditioning mask (linked below) twice a week. I do the mask twice a week because I need it. Running outside can be harsh on the hair.
5. I said this before and I'll say it again... I swear by hair trims every 6-8 weeks. It really works and my hair always thanks me afterward! To be honest, nobody can ever tell I've had a trim and I love that because that tells me it still looks just as long!
6. Don't touch it! I know this may sound funny but it's true, I really don't touch my hair. I read in a magazine when I was 12 that the less your touch/brush your hair, the less breakage you have. Once I fix it for the day, I don't touch it. "Step away from your hair"! Unless it gets caught in your lashes or stuck in your lipgloss! Have you ever noticed if you play with your hair then look down at your pants or shirt that most of the time there's pieces of hair laying there that were just on your head? Let it stay on your head as long as it can!
7. Running is not a fan of my long hair. For starters my ponytail weighs about 5 lbs. and tends to run in the opposite direction. I have to be very careful that I am not having breakage around the front of my hair due to my heavy ponytail. I have a special running ponytail that I wear to help lighten the weight of my hair. I will share a "how to" in a later post but it is simply three ponytails combined into one! I love mother nature but the sun, wind, dirt and pollution are not gentle to my hair either so this is where conditioning comes in handy.
8. Sanitize! By that I mean a good deep clean. 2-3 times a month I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all of the product that I use everyday. I feel so fresh afterward!
9. Healthy Fats! I try to make sure to eat as many healthy fats as I can because they taste good and they make my hair pretty. Guacamole, I mean avocado is at the top of my list!
10. Silk Pillowcase! I love mine (it's pink of course) and have used silk for about 4 years now! I learned from my 9-5 in aesthetics that silk pillowcases are not only good for your hair but gentle on your skin too. I also hope that it will turn me into Sleeping Beauty!
I hope you have learned a tip or two from my tried and true hair regimen. If you have any good hair advice please, do tell! Thank you for chatting with me and remember to always be Running on Rosé!
My Favorite Hair Products
I'm currently using all of these!
Silk Pillowcase (Pink of course): Slip
Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand (that rose gold got me): T3
Rainbow Gold Curling Iron (Reminds me of a unicorn): Hot Tools
Penetraitt Shampoo: Sebastian
Penetraitt Conditioner: Sebastian
Shaper Plus Extra Hold Hairspray: Sebastian
I love this hairspray because it holds well without weighing your hair down
Intense Hydrating Mask: MOROCCANOIL
Smells SO good!
Dry Texture Spray: MOROCCANOIL
Great for texture and volume!
Clarifying Shampoo: MOROCCANOIL
Damage Remedy Daily Leave in Conditioner: Aveda
Dry Texturizing Spray: Oribe
Smells like vacation to me!
Volume Powder Spray: Oribe
Great for maximum root-lifting volume
Natural Bristle Hair Brush: Aerin Beauty
Perfect to fluff loose waves and soften curls
Detangling Brush: Wet Brush
This brush changed my life! Great for kids too because it literally takes out wet tangles pain free!